February BOD Meeting

Somersett United
Somersett United

Some of the more significant issues discussed and or approved at the February 22nd Board of Directors Meeting were as follows:



  1. The Board approved a Finance Committee recommendation to award Reno Green the Tree Mapping and Irrigation Mapping contracts.  The Tree Mapping contract price was $1/Tree with an estimated 7500 trees to be documented.  The Irrigation Mapping price was unspecified but not to exceed $9000. Selection of Reno Green from the three bidders was obvious, given familiarity with the SOA landscaping and the fact they were the low bidder for both.  Contract awards are subject to acceptance of some conditions (e.g., SOA ownership of maps and associated databases) and review by SOA legal counsel.
  2.  The Board approved the West Park Committee recommendation on the re-allocation of land usage for the proposed West Park (for details see the previous SU “West Park Update” post dated March 2, 2017).
  3. The Board approved the issuance of four free pool use guest passes per year per household, not valid on holidays. It was also announced the lap pool was now open year-round from 6AM to 4PM.
  4. The Board approved holding their BOD open meetings on a monthly rather that bi-monthly basis.  This to begin immediately.
  5. The Community Manager briefly discussed winter storm damage issues within Somersett.  Specific problem areas mentioned were in Woodcrest (soil erosion and hillside slippage), the SGCC’s 14th hole (upper and lower rock wall failures) and drainage problems from SOA boundary walls into homeowner lots.  Seth Padovan (AGC Committee Consulting Engineer) has been working on these issues for the SOA and obtaining proposals from Geotechnical Engineers for problem investigation and repair solutions. These are expected shortly. However, repair work at this time is improbable due to the extremely wet soil conditions.
  6.  The originally planned Homeowner Town Hall Meeting on The Club at Town Center expansion was postponed to allow additional time to address cost related issues.  Instead the Board will be holding a workshop with the Finance and Strategic Planning & Facilities Committees on March 7th to discuss proposals, costs and preferred directions.
  7. Under the Homeowner Comments agenda, several Sierra Canyon owners spoke out against the generic letter sent to many owners addressing non-compliance with front yard planting requirements (see previous SU post “First the Fence, now the Plant Police”).  Comments centered on the following:
  • The Non-Compliance letter was generic with no specificity as to where the recipients were not compliant with planting requirements.
  • Owners purchased their home from the Developer (Pulte) in good faith and were unaware that front yard landscaping was non-compliant.
  • Many bought years ago and do not understand why this long after closing they are now receiving a non-compliance letter. Very unprofessional to hold owners responsible for a Developer oversight.
  • The SOA should have been overseeing the Developer to insure planting requirements were being met. To now expect owners to communicate and resolve their issues with Pulte is unreasonable. The SOA should be pressuring the Developer to correct non-compliances rather than placing the burden on the homeowners
  • The Non-Compliance letter was prepared and issued by the SOA without coordination with the Sierra Canyon Association. This lack of communication furthers the divide between the two associations.
  • Letter showed a lack of common sense and good judgement and should be rescinded.
  • A Sierra Canyon homeowner commented on the lack of communication between the Somersett and Sierra Canyon Boards. Proposed that routine meetings between Board members (two from each Board) be held on a monthly or bi-monthly basis.

4 thoughts on “February BOD Meeting

  1. This post is exactly why Somersett United should be disbanded, TO send out false information or perhaps one should say alternate facts is not only harmful to Somersett residents but to those in Sierra Canyon also. Meeting minutes published on FB on Feb 28 by Nancy Chontos after a meeting with Ryan Dominguez reflect a totally different story.

    (REVISED) VERY IMPORTANT Update re: Front Landscaping Non-Compliance Letters
    I wanted to get all the facts about what lead up to the mailing of the front landscaping non-compliance letters, so my husband and I had a meeting this afternoon with Ryan Dominguez, Community Manager for Somersett.
    NOTE: It’s important for homeowners to know that current rules and regulations are that only custom homes require final inspection by Somersett. Therefore, there has been no obligation for the SOA to inspect landscaping, homes, etc. in Sierra Canyon.
    NOTE: This is an SOA issue and NOT a Sierra Canyon HOA issue because it is the SOA’s responsibility to approve home and plot plans from the developers.
    NOTE: Warranty periods have nothing to do with whether or not Pulte installed your front landscaping in compliance with the approved Plot Plan.
    Here is what transpired:
    JUNE 2016 – The SOA (Somersett Owners Association) was driving around the community doing inspections due to some reports of potential violations
    JULY 2016 –
    • The SOA was driving around the community continuing to check on some fencing issues when they noticed quite a few front yards that ‘didn’t look right’ as far as the landscaping. They seemed to be sparse as far as shrubs, etc.
    • The SOA went to each home in Villages 11 – 15:
    o Counted the front yard plants
    o Compared the actual landscaping that was planted to the Plot Plans provided to Pulte that were approved by Somersett
    o Determined that 358 homes were not in compliance with the approved Plot Plans
    • The SOA contacted Pulte to start the discussion as to how to resolved this issue
    • Meeting between Pulte, SOA board members and AGC representation. Walked through some streets and discussed the issue.
    • SOA/AGC requested a plan from Pulte as to how they would remediate this issue
    • Pulte did not provide a remediation plan
    DECEMBER 2016
    • Pulte wanted to wait until Spring to deal with this situation
    • Pulte still did not provide a remediation plan
    JANUARY 2017
    • Knowing that Pulte will be completing their work here and leaving Somersett in early Spring, the decision was made to send a letter to all non-compliant homes (all homes in Villages 11 – 15)
    • All SOA BOD members read and approved the letter
    • The SOA BOD sent the letter to at least one Sierra Canyon Board Member to read prior to being sent out
    • 358 Front Yard Landscaping Non-Compliance Letters were sent to homes in Sierra Canyon Villages 11 – 15. The letter contained the requirements taken directly from the approved Pulte Plot Plans.
    What to do next? Stay tuned. We are in a holding pattern. No one has received a Violation Letter yet. The SOA is hoping that Pulte will provide their remediation plan ASAP. This topic will NOT be on the March agenda for the SOA BOD meeting.
    Ryan Dominguez said that his #1 concern is to protect the homeowners. The letter was sent with that intent in mind.

    secondly the pool is NOT open from 6PM to 4PM daily. In the summer when the kids out out the hours will change and it will be open for lap swim to 12PM and then later in the afternoon I believe its 6PMbut I don’t post mis-information.

    Please get your facts straight before you get people upset.

  2. Although not required, I would like to see posters to this blog put their real name. Looking through the Resident Directory for Sierra Canyon and County records there is no Slattery shown in the zip code for greater Somersett 89523.

    Someone posted on the Sierra Canyon website that Somersett board member Glenda Powell was “clueless.” Here is my response to that:

    Shouldn’t Glenda be congratulated for all her efforts since 2006 helping to make both Somersett and Sierra Canyon what they are today?

    SOMERSETT (current and past positions)

    Board President (currently in second year of a two-year term)
    Community Standards Committee (currently and before becoming a board member)
    Aesthetic Guidelines Committee (currently)
    Strategic Planning & Facilities Committee (currently)
    Traffic & Safety Ad Hoc Committee (currently)
    Transition Committee (past – developer to association)
    Election Oversight Committee (past)

    SIERRA CANYON (no current positions)

    Board Member (1 term – lost attempt for second term)
    Architectural Review Committee – multi-year member (main driver in writing the Guidelines)
    Facilities Committee- multi-year member (choose Lodge Furniture & Carpeting)
    Transition Committee (developer to association)

    All the while keeping an eye on budget & finance matters in both associations.

    Violations in general and front yard landscaping in particular. Get ready for stained fences; mow-strips; chicken wire on split rails, and wooden retaining walls. Somersett maintains the trails and should all common areas. Be thankful for experienced dedicated leadership!

    1. Sharon Slattery is well known as a committed Somersett volunteer who gives her time to committees and organizes charity events on behalf of Somersett. You should thank her for her time and service. She was profiled in the January/February issue of Somersett Living (page 19).
      Take some responsibility for informing yourself instead of blaming others because you don’t know what is going on.
      BTW: The administrator of this website is anonymous – he should be the first to drop the aliases.

  3. Joe Perhaps you should sign up to Nextdoor Somersett, they certainly have a Slattery listed. And why would you bother to look?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s