June 27th SOA BOD Meeting Recap

Meeting Agenda  –  The revised agenda may be accessed by clicking on the following link.  Page numbers refer to the supplemental BOD Meeting Packet, which is available on the SOA website.

Revised June 27th BOD Meeting Agenda

A recap of some of the more significant items discussed and/or approved follow:

Item 4.f General Manager Report – The complete General Manager Report is available on the SOA Website. This report summarizes Aesthetic Guidelines (AGC) and Community Standards (CSC) Committee activity, The Club at Town Center (TCTC) activities and usage factors, Special Projects/Maintenance updates, and General Manager Activity. The General Manager section included:

Announced hiring of James O”Connnell to fill the open FSE Project Manager position and Jeff Lucas to replace Ron Eckhardt as Maintenance Operations Manager.

A proposal from High Sierra Forestry to oversee the Fire Fuel Reduction Program. Proposal forwarded to the Finance Committee for review.

An update on homeowner complaints about native vegetation fire hazards on adjoining Somersett Country Club property. Country Club response was that they had checked with the Fire Department and discovered no violations, and that “We will continue to be as proactive as we can on the golf course side with the limited maintenance crew we have, but there isn’t much we can do as far as getting out to specific properties”.

Editorial comment: Perhaps the new FSE Project Manager can review the Purchase and Lease Agreement with the Country Club to see if they are in violation of their maintenance responsibilities.

Item 6.a  Legal Update – The SOA Attorney letter addressing all pending litigation may be viewed via the following link  “June 27, 2018 SOA Legal Update. Regarding the Rockery Wall lawsuit, a Mediation session was held between litigants on June 22, 2018. However, the proceedings were deemed confidential, so no details were provided. Additionally, the Association received notice from the Nevada Real Estate Division of an owner complaint that the Association did not comply with NRS 116.31088 in proceeding with the Rockery Wall law suit. The NRED has asked the Association to provide copies of governing documents and those “documents relating to the actual vote to ratify the filing of the lawsuit”. The Association has until July 16, 2018 to respond.

Item 6.b   Website Standard Terms and Conditions  –  No update or approval was provided

Item 6.c  Pool Redesign Sealed Bid – Only one bid was submitted. That from Dennis Banks Construction in the amount of $470,183. This was higher than expected and much discussion ensued. This along with related items 7.a,b,c below were eventually referred to the Finance Committee for review and evaluation

Items 7.a,b,c  Pool Project Related Proposals – Proposals were received from three separate contractors for pool construction support activities. These for1) Construction Surveying, 2) Materials Testing, and 3) Structural Engineering Services. Total for all three came to about $14,000. This is in addition to the $470,183 referenced above. Bottom line is that the Pool Redesign Project with contingencies, and based on current proposals, will amount to approximately $500K. Given that the Club at Town Center’s 2018 total budget for upgrades was $500K and considering amounts already spent, the Pool Project will put the TCTC special projects well over budget.

Item 7.d  Permit Application and Emergency Plan for Canyon 9 Dam – The BOD accepted the House-Moran Consulting proposal in the amount of $8,000 for this work

Item 7.f  Resident Meeting to Discuss Document Changes – A homeowner meeting is scheduled for 5:30 PM on July 9th at TCTC. Purpose is to discuss perceived need for modification of the SOA Governing Documents, the constraints associated therewith, and the process for accomplishing. The meeting will not be open for discussion/comments on specific changes. This will come later if it is decided to proceed with modifications.

Homeowner Comments:

An owner complained about the reduced lap pool hours as being unfair to those who rely on lap pool use for exercise.

An owner presented a complaint to the SOA Board concerning the rude conduct of the BOD President at a homeowner initiated meeting to discuss TCTC Potluck Dinner policy. A copy of the owner complaint, reprinted with permission, is available for viewing via the following link: “SOA BOD President Complaint

Editorial Comment – Although not required by the Homeowner, SU felt it prudent to not disclose the owners name on this venue, hence its removal from the submitted complaint

An owner asked whether the recent Association Member email discussing burglaries and security patrols in Somersett implied that increased security patrols would ensue. The response was that increased patrols are not planned for at this time, only a more judicious look at patrol timing and routes.

One thought on “June 27th SOA BOD Meeting Recap

  1. Thank you for the update. I was very interested in issue #7, Burglaries and patrol services. I was probably the one who sent the announcement asking for more patrol services since we had an attempted break in at our house. Sorry to hear we are not getting additional patrols, but that hopefully, they will spend more time in Sierra Canyon.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s