May 12th SOA Board Meeting Recap

recap 1

Following is a recap of topics discussed and/or approved at the May 12th Somersett Owners Association (SOA) Board of Directors (Board) Meeting. Meeting was sparsely attended with only about eleven owners signing on for the zoom video conference.

The reader is referred to SU’s previous post of May 11th, 2021 “May 12th SOA Board Meeting” for a copy of the Meeting Agenda. A recap of items discussed with agenda items noted follow:

2. Homeowner Comments on Agenda Items (paraphrased with apologies for any misstatements)

The owner of property affected by Agenda item 6.b. “1880 Dove Mountain, Common Area Slope Repair” gave a scathing indictment on the manner in which the Board has handled this project. From the way they rejected the original bids (i.e., based on a perceived violation of the bidding process), to re-defining the scope of work, which is now (according to original vendor) insufficient to completely stabilize the slope, hence a no bid on their part. Also,  that the current Board has ‘blown up” the process resulting in unreasonable delays.

In an email to the Board read at the meeting, an owner expressed concerns and commented on the following items:

  • With regard to the internal management issue there are many questions that need to be addressed, but the Board appears to come to public meetings with a predetermined outcome in mind, representing a lack of transparency and non-engagement of owners in the process of moving forward to an internal management structure.
  • That all documents created in the internal management evaluation process be published for owner viewing and that the Management Consultant’s findings and recommendations be made public for 30 days before the Board votes for any changes.
  • The lack of information in the Board Meeting Packets on business items for owners to review and comment on.
  • The lack of multiple quotes (single sourcing) for capital upgrades, referenced the Management Consultant and Pool Spare Parts proposals as examples.

An owner questioned what constituted a quorum of the Board to conduct business in light of Board member Hanson’s resignation. The SOA’s Bylaws require 66% of Board members present at a meeting to constitute a quorum. Given that there are currently only four active Board members a quorum would require three members present. However, the SOA Board membership is currently established at five, therefore would a quorum of four be required?

SU Note: Subsequent to the meeting, the Board sought a legal opinion on the quorum requirements. It was determined by the SOA Attorney, and backed up by Nevada Real Estate Division opinion, that a quorum of members is determined by the actual number of Board members entitled to vote and not the number of seats available. Therefore with four sitting Board members a quorum, per SOA Bylaws, would be 66% of four (2.64) or three Board members.

3. April 28th, 2021 BOD Meeting Minutes

The minutes of the April 28th Board meeting were approved with no amendments. See SU Post of May 2nd, “April 28th SOA BOD Meeting Recap” for a summary of the April 28th meeting.

4. Committee Reports

4.a. Budget and Finance – No direct report from this Committee was submitted for discussion or action. However, the Board Treasurer (Simon Baker) summarized the March financials under this agenda item. Also, Board member O’Donnell commented that the published financial reports do not contain the level of detail necessary to view income/expenses related to specific TCTC activities (used Kids Movie Night as an example). Mr. Baker advised that this type of data was not appropriate for summary reports but could be made available to the Finance Committee if so requested.

4.b. Communication – Nothing new to report

4.c. Strategic & Facilities – No formal report from this Committee. However, Board member Williams summarized the status of a number of activities completed and/or underway by BrightView.

4.d. West Park Garden – Nothing new to report. However, the Community Garden officially opened on Saturday, May 15th. Somersett residents are encouraged to check it out.

4.e. Community Events – 1) Spring Social is sold out, 2) Due to the complexity and staffing requirements of the July 10th Car Show, the Board approved the formation of a sub-committee to specifically support this event, 3) Kathy Wild was approved as a member of the Committee, and 4) As a result of the owner survey results, six new events have been added to the Somersett Events calendar, which can be viewed on the SOA’s website (www.somersett.org) under the Events/Somersett Events page.

4.f. General Manager – 1) FirstService Residential (FSR) has hired a staff member to support AGC activities, and 2) It was announced that the FSR Assistant GM Herc Heinle will be leaving with his replacement yet to be determined.

5. Financials – The March financials were approved.

6. Unfinished Business

6.a Legal Updates – Nothing new to report on the Preston Homes lawsuit. On the Rockery Wall appeal, final oral arguments were presented by the parties to the Court on May 4th. A ruling on such is expected within in the 1 – 6 month time frame.

6.b. 1880 Dove Mountain, Common Area Slope Repair – The Board approved a bid from Parsons Walls in the amount of $7500 to repair/extend the Rockery Wall on the affected slope. Apparently this was the only vendor willing to bid on this project.

6.c. Snack Bar Update – Required equipment list to support the proposed  Snack Bar operations is still being finalized and where to purchase at the least cost. The Snack Bar equipment purchases along with facility repairs and upgrades is expected to come in well under budget.

SU Note: SU has obtained a copy of the Commercial Lease Agreement with the Peavine Tapehouse for operation of the Snack Bar, a copy of which may be viewed via the following link:  Peavine Taphouse Commercial Lease

Per the “Lease Payments” provision of the Agreement,, the SOA will derive no revenue from sales or property rental. Rather a single lease payment of $2,000 at the end of the season, but only if Snack Bar sales exceed $20,000.

6.d. Village at the Greens Common Area Turnover – Action from this item was deferred from the April 28th Board meeting to address some “punch list” concerns. Concerns were addressed positively and turnover of common area to the SOA was approved.

6.e. Pool Reserve Parts Inventory Purchase – Holdover item from previous Board meeting to allow time to explore options to the SOA purchasing spare parts directly from Pool vendor. Action again tabled pending additional information.

7. New Business

7.a Community Events Committee Request for Additional Funds – Th Board approved the addition of $15,000 to the Committees budget.

7.b. Approval for Gate Extension on Hole 18 Trail – It was not clear what street is at issue here, but apparently Somersett Country Club members wanting an alternate access to the clubhouse from the golf course are driving around a private street gate using the sidewalk and in the process intruding on owner property lawns. There was a request to extend the street gate to prevent access. However, as an option, the Board approved up to $4,000 for installation of a sidewalk barrier to prevent cart egress.

7.c. Update on Management Options Study (informational only) – The management consultant (Nancy Kerry) engaged by the Board at the April 14th Board meeting, summarized her first report to the Board, noting contacts she has had discussions with on SOA management options. . The total report is available via the following link:  Analysis of Management Options

7.d. Discussion on Resolving the Status of the Open Board Seat – After some discussion on the options for filling the open position on the Board (i.e., special election, appointment or leave vacant until the next Board election), the decision on how to proceed was tabled until the next Board Meeting. This pending a legal ruling on what constitutes a quorum if the position is left vacant.

7.e. Kids Club Program, costs and whether to make this for Somersett Residents Only – This question was apparently raised because of a concern that not enough Somersett residents were opting into participation in the Kids Club programs, especially the before and after school child care programs. This with the realization that revenue from these programs were also used for other TCTC events. There was a discussion on how the funds were handled on the individual programs and that each should be self supporting with regard to income and expenses. It was universally agreed upon that child care assessments should not be used to help fund other TCTC programs. Bottom line was that the revenue/expenses on the individual programs should be looked at individually for changes in the budgeting process for 2022. It was also reported that enough sign-ups for kids programs are now being acquired to preclude extension to non-Somersett residents. However, no motions or decisions in this regard were proposed.

7.f. Proposal to Purchase a Small Section of Artificial Turf of Sommer Events at the Town Center – A proposal from Artificial Grass Recyclers in the amount of $7106 for 6600 sq. ft. of Artificial turf to be installed on the SOA property (currently unused) adjacent to the Town Center commercial buildings. This to evaluate the use of artificial turf in general as a common area drought solution as well as use for community events and owner applications. However, in lieu of this proposal, Board member O’Donnell proposed acceptance of an offer from Top Tier Turf Co. for purchase of 6000 sq ft of upgraded turf at $1.49/ sq. ft. With a buy back option of $0.99/sq. ft. in the event the SOA was displeased with its use. Also with some promised community advertising benefits. Apparently BrightView will clear the brush from the determined 6000 sq. ft area at no cost to the SOA, but it was unclear who, or how much, it would cost to actually prepare the ground and lay the turf. The Board approved the Top Tier Turf purchase at $9,000 with a provision that the SOA will conduct an owner survey as to usage, including a revision of the Aesthetic Guidelines to permit front yard installation in lieu of sodded grass..

7.g. Board Appointment to Open Liaison Positions on Committees – Mark Capalongan was appointed as Board liaison to the Communications Committee and Bill O’Donnell as Board liaison to the Community Events Committee. Also, Rob Jordan was approved as a member of the Strategic & Facilities Committee.

9. Homeowner Comments (paraphrased with apologies for any misstatements)

A comment appreciating the Board looking at use of the common area adjacent to the commercial buildings for community events. However, being an unshaded area, artificial turf can become unbearably hot in the summer, making it unsuitable for community use. The Board needs to do its due diligence in this regard.

Melissa Loving addressed the open Board position by volunteering to serve in this capacity. But noted that this probably would not be accepted because the Board apparently does not want members with dissenting opinions. Whereas, Ms. Loving’s offer could not have been acted on at this time. it was essentially put aside without direct acknowledgement, except that she could always run for the Board in November.  Ms. Loving also voiced support for the Board’s actions with regard to the artificial turf issue.

SU Note: SU does not normally publish the names of Homeowners commenting on agenda items due to the  potential for mis-quoting, among other reasons. However, in this case, because of Ms. Loving’s offer to be appointed to serve on the vacated Board position, we felt it appropriate to identify her.

May 12th SOA Board Meeting

BOD Agenda 2

Following is the Agenda for the Somersett Owners Association (SOA) Board of Directors (BOD) Meeting to be held at The Club at Town Center (TCTC) at 5:30 PM on Wednesday, May 12th. (SU apologizes for the late posting)

May 12th BOD Meeting Agenda

Given that TCTC is still operating under some COVID-19 restrictions, Owner participation will again be via “Zoom” videoconferencing. Video access instructions are available in the above meeting agenda copy.

The Board Meeting Packet providing background information on some of the Agenda items is available on the SOA Website (www.somersett.org) under the SOA Documents/Board Documents/2021 links.  However, as usual, there is very little supporting information related to the new business items. Following is a listing of the May 12th agenda items with comments noted:

3.  April 28th, 2021 BOD Meeting Minutes

The Board Meeting Packet referenced above contains a draft summary of the April 28th Board meeting minutes.  For a more detailed recap one may access SU’s previous post of May 2ndth entitled “April 28th SOA BOD Meeting Recap”.

4.  Committee Reports

4.a. Budget & Finance, 4.b. Communications, 4.c. Strategic & Facilities, 4.d. West Park Garden, and 4.e. Community Events  –  Nothing contained in the Board Meeting Packet for these Committees, therefore nothing to comment on.

5.  Financials –  The usual 30+ pages of financial data. The reader is referred to the Board Meeting Packet for details.

6.  Unfinished Business

6.a.  Legal Updates  –  Nothing new to report contained in the Board Meeting Packet.

6.b.  1880 Dove Mountain Common and Slope Repair  –  Nothing new to report contained in the Board Meeting Packet.

6.c.  Snack Bar Update  –  Nothing new to report contained in the Board Meeting Packet.

6.d.  Village at the Greens Common Area Turnover  –  Deferred from the previous Board meeting. A request by the Developer of the Greens at Town Center for turnover of common area to the SOA.

6.e.  Pool Reserve Parts Inventory Purchase  –  Deferred from the previous Board Meeting  – A proposal in the amount of $12.092 for spare parts for the TCTC pools (e.g., heaters, sensors, pumps).

7.  New Business

7.a  Community Events Committee Request for Additional Funds – Apparently the cost to support proposed events exceed the previously approved budget.  No related  information on events or additional fund requests were contained in the Board meeting packet.

7.b.  Approval for Gate Extension on Hole 18 Trail  –   No supporting information contained within the Board Meeting Packet.

7.c.  Update on Management Options Study (informational only)  –  At the April 14th SOA Board Meeting, the Board approved the hiring of Somersett owner Nancy Kerry at $6,000/month to provide consulting services on Association management options (i.e., Professionally or Self-Managed).  Ms. Kerry’s first report to the Board is available via the following link:  Analysis of Management Options

7.d.  Discussion on Resolving the Status of the Open Board Seat   – No supporting information contained within the Board Meeting Packet for this agenda item. SU expects the Board will keep the seat open until the next annual election cycle.

7.e.  Kids Club Program, Costs and whether to make this for Somersett Residents only  –  No supporting information contained within the Board Meeting Packet for this item.

7.f.  Proposal to Purchase a Small Section of Artificial Turf of Sommer Events at the Town Center  –  A proposal from Artificial Grass Recyclers in the amount of $7106 for 6600 sq. ft. of artificial turf (for pick-up in Sacramento?).  No supporting information contained within the Board Meeting Packet for this item as to what events it is required for or where installed.

7.g.  Board Appointment to Open Liaison Positions on Committees  –  No supporting information contained within the Board Meeting Packet for this item.  Apparently an update on what Board members are assigned to what Committees.

April 28th SOA Board Meeting Recap

recap 1

Following is a recap of topics discussed and/or approved at the April 28th Somersett Owners Association (SOA) Board of Directors (Board) Meeting. Only three Board members were in attendance (Board member Baker was missing and there is an open slot due to Board member Hanson’s resignation). Homeowner presence was low with only 11 participants. 

The reader is referred to SU’s previous post of  April 24th, 2021 “April 28th SOA Board Meeting” for a copy of the Meeting Agenda and supporting information derived from the Board Meeting Packet, which is available on the SOA website (http://www.somersett.org) under the “SOA Board and Committees/The Board of Directors/2021 links. Following is a meeting summary, with Agenda items noted.

2. Homeowner Comments on Agenda Items

There were no Homeowner comments on agenda items.

3.  April 14th, 2021 BOD Meeting Minutes

The minutes of the April 14th Board meeting were approved with no amendments. See SU Post of April 18th, “April 14th SOA BOD Meeting Recap” for a summary of the April 14th meeting.

4.  Committee Reports

4.a.  Budget and Finance  –  No Report

4.b.  Communication  –  1) New signage for the Canyon9 golf course has been completed and will be installed by May 1st, which is also the date at which Canyon9 will be no longer public, but open to residents and quests only. 2) Twelve ompanies have expressed interest in advertising on the SOA website. 3) Photo contest entries have been printed and will be displayed at TCTC.  A gallery of these photos will be published on the SOA website for voting on by residents. Prizes have yet to be announced. 4) The new Zen Planner reservation system for TCTC is about eady to go. Emails with instructions for downloading the app and creating new passwords will be sent to all residents currently using the old system.

4.c.  Strategic & Facilities  –  The speed survey devices installed on the Somersett Parkway and Back Nine Trail locations did not indicate a systemic problem that would support the installation of speed calming devices, at least in the mind of the City of Reno. However, being a private street, Back Nine Trail speed calming devices could still be installed at the discretion of the SOA. Also, that the results of the pedestrian survey at Roundabout 3 did not support installation of pedestrian crossing safety devices. 

4.d.  West Park Garden  –  All plots have been assigned and two orientation sessions conducted. Additional rabbit fencing is being installed. The seed packet fund raiser has been extended thtough May.

4.e.  Community Events  –  A plug for the Car Show scheduled for July 10th at the Town Center. Residents are encouraged to participate by signing up (four have already done so) on the Somersett website. There was also a budget concern implying that the Commirtee’s planned events may need additional funding. This to be discussed at the next Board meeting.

5.  Financials  –  No report

6.  Unfinished Business

6.a  Legal Updates  –  On the SOA’s Rockery Wall lawsuit against the Somersett Development Company, et al. it was reported that the oral arguments scheduled for May 4th may be available online through the Court’s website system.  On the Preston Homes Rockery Wall lawsuit against the SOA (see SU Post of April 20th “Preston Homes Lawsuit Against the SOA”), it was reported that the SOA’s insurance company will handle the litigation.

6.b.  1880 Dove Mountain, Common Area Slope Repair  –  It was reported that a new design for the rockery wall repair/placement has been generated, but that only one vendor is willing to do the work, perhaps by early/mid June, no cost data was presented. Also, that BrightView will be submitting a proposal for landscaping the slope and that other contractors may be involved before project completion, which has been on-going for over a year now.

6.c.  Snack Bar Update  –  The Snack Bar Lease Agreement with the Peavine Taphouse has been signed and insurance obtained.  The required equipment list has been adjusted but not yet purchased. This not an issue as it encompasses readily available equipment. A “plug” was put in for the May 20th Poolside Spring Social featuring live music, beer and wine, plus a showcase of food selections from the new summer pool menu.  Price is $20 with limited space, residents may register on-line via the Somersett website. Options for posting signs advertising this and other special events were discussed.

7.  New Business

7.a. Village at the Greens Common Area Turnover – A walkthrough of the property uncovered a few minor items that need addressing. Board tabled turnover approval until the next Board meeting.

7.b.  Proganix Soil Proposal for “The Cut” Hill Side Stabilizer  –  This pertains to the East entrance hillside. Apparently when the rock fall mitigation work was performed, a test area was hydro-seeded with a grass-matte ground cover product. This proposal (cost not revealed) is to do more of the same on other areas of the hillside, which would require some irrigation to support. Concerns were raised on the following issues: 1) grass could create a fire-fuel hazard for the homes on the top of the hill, and 2) given the steep slope, irrigation could loosen the soil creating the potential for both grass and rocks sliding down the hill.  Proposal was declined.

7.c.  Pool Equipment Proposal  –  This $12K proposal from the SOA pool maintenance vendor, Lee Joseph Inc., covers the purchase of spare parts to be placed within SOA inventory.   Purpose is to cirmcumvent extended shutdown of the TCTC pools due to equipment failure and the time to locate and purchase replacement equipment. Discussion focused on the following issues: 1) The SOA could save $3K if bought ourselves rather than through Lee Joseph. 2) If bought ourselves, Lee Joseph would not warrant its installation. 3) for an additional fee, have Lee Joseph quarantee availability of replacement parts from their inventory. 4) A concern that SOA purched parts could become obsolete before usage. Proposal was tabled to allow Board member Williams to consult with Lee Joseph regarding item 3. 

7.d.   TCTC Server Upgrade Proposal  –  This $21K proposal from Logically to upgrade the SOA’s network  server architecture was also tabled. This to address the questions as to why the current system is outdated and what will the SOA gain from the upgrade? Also to explore other options such as moving to a “cloud” server architecture, which, although subscription based, could be less costly than our current server support services.

7.e.  Review of Approved Plants and Mulches Used in Somersett  –  This agenda item in response to homeowner requests and suggestions for looking into and modifying approved plans for trees (availability issues), plants (fire-fuel concerns), use of rocks ( size issues), etc.  Discussed doing a survey of landscape companies doing business in Somersett for their input on these issues. Decided to refer to the AGC to look over owner suggestions.

8.  Board Member Comments 

A statement of appreciation to Dave Alexander for his recent service on both the Facilities and Finance committees.

A discussion initiated by Board member O’Donnell on mechanisms in place for the Board, or a Board member, to initiate an emergency action. GM Fields responded with a summary of in-place mechanisms.

9.  Homeowner Comments (paraphrsed with apologies for any misstatements)

A suggestion to consider formation of an owner committee to address item 7.e, rather than refer to the AGC and its “paid” consultants. Response was that the Board has no intent to pay AGC members to look into this inssue, rather they are leaning to surveying landscape contractors doing business in Somersett.

A question as to what process (i.e., appointment, leave vacant or hold a special election) the Board will pursue in filling the open Board position.  Response was no formal decision yet. However, if interpreting Board comments correctly,  SU believes the leave vacant until the next annual election cycle option will prevail.

A request from a Toll Brothers representative that the the SOA accept turnoner to the SOA of the streets and gates at The Ridge. Basis being that Toll Brothers are paying full Private Gates and Streets assessments to the SOA on 120 lots, but in addition, are also paying for street snow removal and gate maintenance costs on these streets due to the SOA not accepting turnover. Apparently a past request was denied as long as construction was on-going. Therefore, Toll Brothers feel they are paying the SOA for a benefit that are not receiving. The representative advised that Toll Brothers would be willing to indemnify the SOA for any damage caused by construction traffic. The Board appeared to be a little taken back by this request and advised they needed to look into the turnover process and past actions.

SU felt this request via the “homeowner” comment portion of a Board meeting to be a  bit strange and out of place. Was this representative a Ridge owner or a Toll Brothers employee? Perhaps both.